Scotts Company & USBG

Cyndy,

I respect your viewpoint on the use of synthetic chemicals and am equally
concerned about environmental quality. I also respect that within the world
of community gardeners, there are a diversity of perspectives and issues
regarding growing methods.

My original response was based on reading your email posting and the
article that was attached. Where we differ in is how we looked at the USBG
press release and perhaps in our perspectives on what makes a socially
responsible company.

In my opinion, the comparison between Scotts, tobacco, and drug dealers is
unfair. On the other hand, as Judy Tiger suggests, we as community
gardeners may have an opportunity to have an influence (through effective
advocacy) on the Scotts product line and on the horticultural practices
that are used at the US Botanical Garden.

I've found Scotts to be a pretty responsive company to gardeners, and I'll
forward along messages, concerns, and ideas from the ACGA List Serve
directly to the company. Scotts web site also has a comment section where
email comments can be sent directly to at
<http://www.scottscompany.com/html/contact.cfm>

So let's move to a step of sharing ideas and information, and see what
postive steps can result.

Peace,

Jim