RE: botanical question

Kirsten:

To paraphrase Tip O'Neal, the  famous Speaker of the US House of
Representatives, " All community gardening ( a political act if there was
ever one) is local. I'd first look at your local sources - the local state
botanical gardens, the old Imperial garden society bulletins, the old
retired gardeners from the municipal parks under the Communists. I'd try to
go for locally available perennials, maybe even discards and extras from
European community garden sources. In the richer Western countries, there
are often surpluses of plants after the season. I'd talk to the Dutch
consulate in Budapest, for example, for tulip business organizations to
contact. Perhaps there might even be a Dutch tax credit for companies that
would create an interest in Dutch bulbs in Hungary. I'd do this with all EC
offices in Budapest. There might be good publicity value for their
governments in this ( sowing flowers in the wreckage of the cold war,
etc...)

I'd check out the plantings and records of the Botanical Societies in both
Budapest and Vienna for indigenous plants. I'd also volunteer to work with
an experienced public gardener to learn ( and feel in your arms and back)
the down-to-earth aspects of public gardening in your city ( which I hear is
experiencing a renaissance.) I'd also correspond with gardeners in municipal
gardens in Krakow, St. Petersburg & Prague regarding local pests, soil
conditions and the particular heavy metal concentrations in your respective
soils.

We have US solutions, and please be sure to ask us about them, but we wont
be turning your soil and shoveling your horse manure.

That said, please check my particular garden's links at
clintoncommunitygarden.org.

Good luck!

Adam Honigman