RE: Smart Growth, CFS & Gardens

The community gardening movement  in NYC was started-up again in the
mid-seventies by a lower-east-side group of lefties/greens who used to throw
seeds over the walls of empty lots in their then-depressed neighborhood.
Through squatting   (a defacto people's eminent domain policy) and by
lobbying elected officials to legalize the attractive facts that the
abandoned lots had become - namely gardens - NYC now has a few hundred
community gardens, despite the fact that NYC has no real urban planning
policy in place except MAKE MONEY. The organization that started it all is
called "Green Guerillas". Please check out my garden's links at
clintoncommunitygarden.org, the American Community Gardening Association
("ACGA"), The Trust for Public Land and search for community gardening
groups in Philadelphia and Montreal whose local governments have progressive
community gardening policies.

Adam Honigman