Re: Scotts Company & USBG

Dawn,
   Please believe me when I say my reply to you wasn't an
attack but a stance.  You are beginning to take it personally.
I'm sorry.
      First, since you don't know me, you don't know that I try
very hard not to drive at all and since we're doing our best to
get our garden to the point where I can grow all our food
except grains (we're vegetarians), I won't even need a grocery
store soon. And yes, everyone including me needs to stop
driving our cars around as much as we do. We live a good
distance out in the country and since I homeschool my children
and don't have a second income, we're careful about driving for
more reasons than one.  I always call my friends and offer to
do their shopping for them "in town" so the driving is reduced
and mostly my husband picks up everything on his way home from
work.
    Second, Scotts is a villianous company. Sorry if saying
that offends you.  They are and they know they are. A spade is
a spade no matter how much money it contributes to our economy
or to charities.  A better point than mine was the one about
the mindless cartoonish commercials out there that make folks
feel safe and secure in using whatever they want however they
want to in their gardens. Since I personally have a friend who
is dying of advanced breast cancer and has a husband with
non-hodgkins lymphoma and a daughter with brain tumors, I have
seen devestation wreaked by Scotts and other companies.  Get
these companies talking and eventually they'll start talking
numbers and "acceptable risk". Seeing my friend and her family
makes me feel there is no acceptable risk. (Likely their
problems stem from living beside a place that is consistently
and heavily sprayed with herbicides... there are studies by
respectable institutions if you want to read them.)
     Lastly,  I'm not hating everyone who uses weed be gone or
whatever. I am offering a free alternative and help for anyone
not wanting to hurt others and themselves by giving money to
chemical companies.   The attitude " just a little won't hurt"
is generated directly by the company you are defending. I don't
blame you or other consumers for believing their line. They
spend millions on advertising to convince you and I'm just one
voice.
       I personally depend on compost tea for just about every
ill in my garden that good soil can't take of and it works just
fine. If it doesn't, I wasn't meant to grow that plant this
year.   If anyone wants compost tea recipes just write me!   If
suggesting that we make compost tea and mulch and not spend our
money on Scotts brand products makes enemies of them, then so
be it. They were enemies to start with as far as I'm concerned.
(Keep in mind my friends.) There is a time to say "no" and I've
said it.

Laura

Dawn wrote:
    Every dumb worker is not responsible for the company
representative who
suggested playing in Diazinon.
Very few people can follow directions; people who won't read
and abide
by directions should all become organic gardeners.    And we
shouldn't
all take anyone else's word for safety!   However, villianizing
Scott's
isn't going to turn this world around and it will make enemies
that
environmentalists will have to subdue before we can accomplish
anything.
   We need to take this serious task one step at a time.
Ants are important in improving the soil in the low desert.
Each
creature has an important job to do.     Perhaps the thing to
do is
educate people about the role ants play in improving the soil.
Ants
also eat termites!
Gasoline is poluting our air; why don't you walk everywhere you
go?
Perhaps it is inconvienent to take your idealism that far?