Re: Scotts Company & USBG

OK, I'm in....

I couldn't hold back on what has been a very stimulating and heated
discussion. Ultimately, I suppose, one has to decide on what to do for
themselves regarding the original message: Should you contact the USBG and
let them know that you feel taking money from Scotts is wrong (or that they
should take the money, knowing that it will be put to good use inspiring and
educating people about gardening, despite the fact that it might be
"dirty")?

However, there is a deeper issue here running through our comments on this
listserve. As community gardeners, we tend to have deeply held, passionate
beliefs about a great many things. Although disagreement is a cornerstone of
democracy, I feel that we spend a great amount of time in the environmental
and social justice movements disagreeing with and sniping at each other,
rather than working together to address the real issues. And, if we don't
know what the real issues are, well that's a great place to start!

It is important for all of us to question where money comes from to support
our projects and organizations, and to challenge sources of funding that go
to support other groups. However, we need to remember that, whatever our
position on this topic, we need to talk WITH each other rather than AT each
other.

We could detail the atrocities and misinterpretations associated with
Thanksgiving as well, but let's just set all that aside for a moment. In any
manner that feels right to you, remember to give thanks for the work that we
do and to honor each other in doing that work.

Peace, y'all...

Odin