Re: Garden hints

Rooty plants (like German parsley) will probe into hard soil helping to
loosen hard sub soil.     When you remove the tops, leave the roots to
compost in place and facilitate water penetration.    The German parsley
also makes a pretty good wind break (when it goes to seed) as does
asparagus here in the hot, dry Southwest desert.    However, the
asparagus is shallow rooted.    If you have room to grow crops to simply
improve your soil, you'll benefit.    Peanuts are great for improving
soil, as are fava beans which have the added benefit of being able to
grow in cool weather..