RE: Volunteer Resources

Heidi,

I utilize a lot of volunteers in my program.  Most of them are from church
youth organizations and colleges, but also from a range of other sources.
So far this year we've logged over 3,000 hours.  I have some long-standing
and valuable relationships with PATH (Presbyterian Answer To Hunger), Hands
On Atlanta, the Atlanta Outward Bound Center, Catholic Social Services, and
some of the larger churches in town.  As a program of the Atlanta Community
Food Bank, our coordinators also recruit for me.

Some of the agencies (with community gardens) which I support are also able
to recruit their own volunteers. I provide guidance, supervision, some tools
and materials.  Project Open Hand and Community Freindship, are two local
examples that always provide for themselves.  Did I mention that I only use
volunteer groups, never individuals?

The only helpful thing I can give you, is the Association of Volunteer
Administrators has a web-site at http:\\www.avaintl.org.  Locally there is
COVA and another group I can't think of, and I bet there are such
associations in Minneapolis.

My parting comment is that I always try my best to make the volunteer
experience rewarding by doing three things:
1.  Get the garden members out there with the volunteers.
2.  Make sure there is enough work to keep them busy.
3.  Provide water, snacks, and sun-screen (and gloves/tools).

fgc
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW