RE: Volunteer Resources

Heidi,

Fred's professional advice is priceless. You can't go wrong there. He makes
us all proud to be Americans in the New Millenium...seriously.
My amateur advice is not quite as priceless, but it's pretty damn cheap. For
what it's worth.

Our website: http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org .

This is hard for me, because I'm an evil,  grouchy middle-aged New Yorker
for whom community service is a given. It's a concept that most folks don't
have. Public spaces are just taken for granted, it's like going to Mom's
house and opening up her refrigerator for most folks. Mostly it's an
education process.

My approach is not always nice or pc:

" Hey you, yes you over there sunbathing with the gym body readin'  the
script. Wanna help me move this bench/rock/snoring drunk, please?  We gotta
re-seed the lawn. You got those delts naturally? Even better, lift with your
left side, it'll make your development more even...You're a great American,
you know that... You really don't go to the gym?"

But when the volunteer coordinator or Johnny on the spot ( i.e. me, " Came
here to water the flower plot, ended up turning the compost, taking out the
garbage, giving a key to the Con Edison guy...") is seen working, it helps.
Playing coaches are always best.

Stuff we've done at the Clinton Community Garden:

We had a nice lady from the steering committee become the garden's volunteer
coordinator. This petite lady is  really nice and diplomatic and has no
shame about asking people to help out.

We post our volunteer opportunities on the bulletin boards with dates and
times. We make sure that we have jobs organized to get done and the gloves
and tools to do them. For large jobs like taking in soil amendments,
building a new shed, creating a drain field for one of out brick walks, we
budget for Pizza and beverages ( soda & beer.) We bring out a table and make
it an "in thing" to damage your back.

We have a list of jobs that have to get done and work to get folks to sign
up and actually do them. ( I like to do guilt, the out-of-towner transplants
that  make up most of our volunteers are more sweetness and light - both
approaches work.)

We have garden events, clean-ups and volunteer clean-up brunch & pot lucks
to foster community. We take volunteer's pictures and put them on our
bulletin boards.

We have an annual volunteer award named after the garden's founder & a great
English gardener volunteer ( both deceased) which we give out with large
fanfare at the Annual Meeting: "The Mallory Abrahmsen - John Carney Award"
which we spend about $150 bucks on.

We care about the tree pits in front of the garden and make sure the
sidewalk in front of the garden gets shovelled
We've learned to say "Thank you, Thank you!" alot.

We post our volunteer opportunities on our front and back gate bulletin
boards and let everyone know that all the garden work is done by volunteers.
We sell t-shirts, honey, coffee mugs, and stuff to help support the garden.

Hope this helps, let us know how it works out,

Adam Honigman