Happy Halloween - The November 7th Election

Comrades,
Community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% political.
This message is political.

 I apologize in advance to anybody who believes that this website shouldn't
be used to promote politcal speach, but I'm doing it.
 At least I'm not trying to be funny ( a no-no on this listserve.)

 If Dubya gets in, I believe that we can kiss real organic standards for
food production, FDA cheerleading for community gardening and tax credits
for businesses that give to foodbanks good bye.

I do think Dubya might be good for a few more laughs than Al the Tin Man (
Dubya might even be a good drinking buddy when his wife isn't listening) but
I don't like the company he hangs with - bulldozer Rudy Giuliani is a big
supporter of his.

I really don't expect that pollution emission controls will be strengthened
under Dubya, that anything annoying to the petrochemical industry will get
short shrift under his administration.

Think about Dubya on these topics:

Acid rain? They're Canadians aren't they?

 Frankenfoods?  Some folks are just afraid of technology.

 I voted for Nader last time but am voting for Al Gore this time because a
vote for Nader in this election is a vote for Dubya:

 TOP TEN REASONS WHY
           I'M NOT VOTING FOR NADER
           (ANY ONE OF WHICH WOULD BE ENOUGH)
           by Gloria Steinem
           President, Voters For Choice

10. He's not running for President, he's running for federal matching funds
for the Green Party!

9. He was able to take all those perfect progressive positions of the past
because he never had to build an electoral coalition, earn a majority vote,
or otherwise submit to democracy.

8. By condemning Gore for ever having taken a different position - for
example, for voting against access to legal abortion when he was a
Congressman from Tennessee - actually dissuades others from changing their
minds and joining us.

7. Nader is rightly obsessed with economic andcorporate control, yet he
belittles a deeper form of control - control of reproduction, and the most
intimate parts of our lives. For example, he calls the women's movement and
the gay and lesbian movements "gonadal politics," and ridicules
the
use of
the word "patriarchy," as if it were somehow less important than
the World
Trade Organization. As Congressman Barney Frank wrote Nader in an open
letter, "your assertion that there are not important issue differences
between Gore and Bush is either flatly inaccurate or reflects your view
that...the issues are not important...since you have generally ignored these

issues in your career."

6. The issues of corporate control can only be addressed by voting for
candidates who will pass campaign-funding restrictions, and by conducting
grassroots boycotts and consumer campaigns against sweatshops - not by
voting for one man who will never become President.

5. Toby Moffett, a longtime Nader Raider who also served in Congress, wrote
that Nader's "Tweedledum and Tweedledee assertion that there is no
important
difference between the major Presidential candidates would be laughable if
it weren't so unsafe." We've been bamboozled by the media's practice of

being even-handedly negative. There is a far greater gulf between Bush and
Gore than between Nixon and Kennedy - and what did that mean to history?

4. Nader asked Winona LaDuke, an important Native American leader, to
support and run with him, despite his likely contribution to the victory of
George W. Bush, a man who has stated that "state law is supreme when to

comes to Indians," a breathtakingly dangerous position that ignores
hundreds
of treaties with tribal governments, long-standing federal policy and
federal law affirming tribal sovereignty.

3. If I were to run for President in the same symbolic way, I would hope my
friends and colleagues would have the sense to vote against me, too, saving
me from waking up to discover that I had helped send George W. Bush to the
most powerful position in the world.

2. There are one, two, three, or even four lifetime Supreme Court Justices
who are likely to be appointed by the next President. Bush has made clear by

his record as Governor and appeals to the ultra-rightwing that his
appointments would overturn Roe v. Wade and reproductive freedom, dismantle
remedies for racial discrimination, oppose equal rights for gays and
lesbians, oppose mandatory gun registration, oppose federal protections of
endangered species, public lands, and water - and much more. Gore is the
opposite on every one of these issues. Gore has made clear that his
appointments would uphold our hard won progress in those areas, and he has
outlined advances in each one.

1. The art of behaving ethically is behaving as if everything we do matters.

If we want Gore and not Bush in the White House, we have to vote for Gore
and not Bush - out of self-respect.  I'm not telling you how to vote by
sharing these reasons. The essence of feminism is the power to decide for
ourselves. It's also taking responsibility for our actions. Let's face it,
Bush in the White House would have far more impact on the poor and
vulnerable in this country, and on the subjects of our foreign policy and
aid programs in other countries. Just as Clinton saved women's lives by
rescinding the Mexico City policy by executive order as his first act as
President - thus ending the ban against even discussing abortion if one
received U.S. aid - the next President will have enormous power over the
lives of millions abroad who cannot vote, plus millions too disillusioned to

vote here.  Perhaps there's a reason why Nader rallies seem so white, middle

class, and disproportionately male; in short, so supported by those who
wouldn't be hurt if Bush were in the White House.  Think self-respect. Think

about the impact of our vote on the weakest among us. Then we can't go
wrong.

 .