RE: history of community gardens

  • Subject: RE: [cg] history of community gardens
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:37:33 -0400

Note: a) Anthropologist Malve von Hassell has been studying community
gardening for some years.  Her new book on Community Gardening in the US (
with a NYC emphasis, I'm told) will be out in February 2002, published by
Bergin & Garvey, an imprint of the Greenwood Publishing Group.

b) A fine  group of scholars have been doing quantitative community garden
research near St. Louis. Gwenne Hays-Stewart of Gateway Greening tipped us
off to their plans about a year ago. Evidently the project has been going
swimmingly. You may want to contact her  at Gwenne.Hayes-Stewart@mobot.org
for more information.

More ideas:

1) Jane Weissman's  oral histories ( "Tales from the Field") are
indispensible NYC source material. Contact Green Thumb or Jane Weissman
about them.

2) You will make pilgrimages to the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society in
Philadelphia, the Green Thumb & the Green Guerilla's archives in NYC as well
as contact every sitting and past board member of the ACGA for both oral
reminiscences and leads to messy file cabinets all over the US. You will
make a formal request to do research the archives of the Trust for Public
Land from California ( San Francisco to the New York Island.)

3) You will find the links to European Community Gardening organizations in
the archives of this listserve and contact all those nice community garden
organizations, allotment garden and recreational types.
Always a friend to the community of scholars, why don't you go into the
American Community Garden website, The Canadian City Gardening website and
the archives of this listserve and play click and print on all the leads you
think will work for you? The archives of this listserve can be found at:

4) If you have access to a high speed internet connection, you ask it
questions, phrasing it differently each time on a search engine of your
choice ( I like Netscape.) It's amazing what the box coughs out.

5) For style , seriousness and documentation, Prof. Jane E. Schukose's
article, "Community Development Through Gardening: State and Local Policies
Transforming Urban Public Space" (NYU Journal of Legislation and Public
Policy - Vol. 3 #2 1999-2000) is an exemplar. Agreed, it reads like a law
journal article, but hell, why not do it right? You might even have a
publishable book to show for it. This study, as well as others are listed on
the ACGA website.

6)Reading through the ACGA site will give you a sense of the fine work this
group does and several good reasons to join ( it's $25.00 a year - dinner
out for two at a Chinese restaurant). There are also some very positive
karmic benefits that most of us accrue from joining the ACGA which will
become evident as soon as you join.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman