City As School Memorial Tree Planting

  • Subject: [cg] City As School Memorial Tree Planting
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:07:24 -0400

I had a very emotional day today. I took  part in a memorial planting ceremony that was organized by
one of the school projects we are involved with, City as School. "ProjectGrowNYC@netscape.net".  The students were the emcees, one read a  poem he wrote, another
read an essay he wrote, 2 boys sang acapella "Imagine" , four students videotaped the whole ceremony and students (and myself) each assisted a  family of a firefighter
from the local fire company or a policeman from the local  precinct who lost their lives at the World Trade Center to plant bulbs and pansies in tree pits across from the
school. I helped the widow of Police Officer James Leahy plant in the tree dedicated to her husband. Each tree had a small American flag and a  plaque in the tree pit with
the firefighter or  policemans name on it. The president of the Board of Education, the Manhattan Borough President, the local Assemblywoman and city council woman
and  others spoke as well. But the young people were creating a living memorial and doing something positive to deal with their feelings and the grief of the families who
lost loved ones. This was a vivid example of the value of school gardening projects and how these projects bring out the creativity and sense of community in young
people.
Lenny