Cleaning out the attic, Helping the WTC Relief Workers

  • Subject: [cg] Cleaning out the attic, Helping the WTC Relief Workers
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:42:13 -0400

Friends,

This is not community garden message, per se, but a reach out for folks who
work together, busket by bucket like we do.  I apologize in advance for
being off topic, but I figured that some of you might want to know about
this

A couple of blocks south of where I work is a volunteer re-supply warehouse
for the workers who are digging out Ground Zero, or sorting out the forensic
wreckage at the Fresh Kills Staten Island Dump . The place is located in a
two storey open front building on Spring Street with bins of clothes,
supplies which workers at the sites pick up or are delivered directly by
volunteers.

 It is run, interestingly enough , by naturalist Stephen Jay Gould, whose
stuff you may have read in Natural History, Rhonda Shearer and an oddly
named though legit 501(c) (3)  called the "Art Science Research Lab". I've
taken to helping out there during my lunch hours:  I don't eat so much, the
full timers get a break and WTC workers who need re-supply can get the
stuff. Basically, for an hour a day, instead of stuffing my face,  I'm the
man behind the men and women doing the digging.

With all the supplies that have crowded the island for this  job, what could
they possibly  need?

Some  biggies are:  Heavy Construction Boots - Mens Sizes 4-16 and extra
width because diggers often need 1 pair per week because of contaminants and
heat melting boot bottoms or metal cutting boot leather,

Respirators & Filters ( the types are in the hyperlink) and

Work clothing Men's sizes L - XXXL.   Why? Clothing is often thrown out
after shifts and placed in hazardous waste bags due to contamination by
bodily fluids & hazardous materials like lead and asbestos.

Here's the link, in case you or someone you know is interested in making a
tax free contribution or has inherited some large work boots they can't use.
Please contact the Art Science Research Lab directly through the website or
at (646) 230-1664/ (212) 925- 8812.

http://www.wtcgroundzerorelief.org/

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman