  • Subject: [cg] 501-c-3
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" <libby@igc.org>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:30:33 -0400

Much as I dislike disagreeing with Adam, I'd hold off on going for
non-profit status: lots of paperwork before, during and after.

Our garden has managed to avoid it for 25 years. For large grants, we
use either our civic association or the land trust as bursar. They
are both 501-c-3's. We are also covered by the land trust's liability

Over the years I've set up a number of tax-exempt organizations, but
it has seemed way more work than it's worth to do it for the garden.

See if you can find a compatible organization that you'd want to work
or network with anyway, and try to come to some agreement with it.
We've always gotten more than we took from both the civic association
and the land trust.

				Philadelphia, PA

                        USDA zone 7A    Sunset zone 32