Re: Re: Ants, Ants Everywhere!

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: Ants, Ants Everywhere!
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:44:48 -0700

The one draw-back to making your own baits is we have the perception that
"more is better". This is extremely so when our homes are being invaded and
we want to rid ourselves of this horrible situation. The problem here lies
is the bait needs to be weak enough to have the "worker" take it back to the
nest, yet strong enough to "kill" the queen (don't kill the messenger!).
This is why sometimes ready-made baits that are borate based (like Combat,
Terro etc.) take all of the guess work out of the exact measurement. In
reality, the boric acid works as a drying agent where it dehydrates the ants
so in turn they die.

With home invasions, one must find the point of entry and remove it. Calk is
a good material for this purpose.

Hope this helps,
Deborah Mills
www.greencure.org