mathematical formulas and food production

  • Subject: [cg] mathematical formulas and food production
  • From: "Sandy Pernitz" Sandy.Pernitz@seattle.gov
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:45:04 -0700

Hi everyone, we have a question I know someone out there has the answer to.  I remember some time ago there where many responses to a similar question which I saved, but seem to have discarded...you know how that goes you don't use it or need it until you get rid of it so if those mathematical wiz out there have some formula's to share it would be greatly appreciated.  Here is the questions with description as follows:

We have a demonstration garden at a local co-op here in Seattle, and need some fun stats to put on our signage.  The garden is a demo garden to encourage shoppers and neighbors to grow and give produce from their gardens. The garden is 40 sq. feet.  Need a factoid like:

1) you can grow XXX pounds in a small garden space like this one or

2) this garden could provide  XXX salads to families in need next year  or

3) This garden could feed.......

thanks!

Lee Harper
Lettuce Link Coordinator
Fremont Public Association
P.O. Box 31151 Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 694-6754
http://www.fremontpublic.org/client/food.html#LettuceLink

Thanks for your time,
Sandy Pernitz
Community Garden Coordinator
P-Patch Program/Dept. of Neighborhoods
Please change my email address to: sandy.pernitz@seattle.gov
206-684-0284
700 3rd Ave, Suite 400
Seattle, WA  98104
"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."  Thomas Jefferson