gardening and religion

I just joined this listserver, and what an interesting debate about religion
and gardening I tumbled into. My contribution: it's worth noting that the
word "paradise" actually originates not from something ethereal or unknown
but from an ancient Persian word that describes an enclosed, private garden,
a spiritual and physical respite from the outside world.
Semantics are interesting, aren't they? I for one wouldn't want to be taken
for being anti-semantic!
Kristin Faurest
Budapest, Hungary