community_garden listserve

>From: Lucy Bradley <BradleyL@Ag.Arizona.Edu>

>I've noticed a number of people dropping off the list lately and I'm not
>sure how many more have silently unsubscribed on their own.  My concern is
>that the community_garden list has had quite a bit of traffic lately
>focused on anti biotechnology, and very little on community gardening
>management issues (this is not to say that the biotechnology discussion is
>not relevant to community gardening).  My fear is that we are loosing
>contact with folks whose experience and knowledge we could benefit from
>because of the volume of traffic on the list that is not central to
>community gardening.

Do we *know* why folks are leaving?  I mean, folks sign up and leave mailing
lists for all sorts of reasons -- and I haven't seen anything in the sigs of
folks that are leaving that indicated that they even *are* community gardeners.

We seem to attract many folks who are simply "gardeners" and don't
necessarity belong to or work with a community garden. Some of them seem to
leave once they realized that we aren't answering basic "how to" gardening

Rather than make assumtions as to *why* people are leaving, could we have an
"exit" questionaire that the list owner sends to folks when they are removed
from the list?  If we politely asked them a few questions (why are they
leaving, what would make the list better, etc.) I think we would have a
better idea of what (if anything) about the list per say is putting folks off.

Just my opinion -- perhaps there is more info that I am unaware of?

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator
St. John's Organic Community Garden

A mission of