biotech, community gardening, the universe...

Hi all...

A recent message commented on the fact that several people had left our
lovely little listserve as a result of there being too much biotechnology
being flung about the virtual chatspace.

Despite the arguability of this assertion, one message did confirm that a
subscriber just wanted garden stuff. I would like to respond to this in much
the same way as I responded to the hub-bub raised about religion and
community gardening that came up several weeks back.

The issue of biotechnology is intimately tied to our roles as community
gardeners and community builders. Many of us on the listserve are here to
find answers to basic garden questions, many come for tips on community
garden governance and still others are looking for guidance from other
people and programs for research or work they are doing in this field. We
need to honor the diversity of needs and desires that all on the list have,
IF they have some connection with community gardening.

Biotechnology is an emerging issue that has tremendous bearing on our lives,
as people who deal with plants, grow healthy food and work to revitalize
communities. Rather than "ghettoize" the biotech folks, can't we just--as
Hope F. wisely suggested--just sort through our mail based on the Subject?

This is a powerful and diverse forum for all sorts of issues, and
biotechnology (like faith) affects all of us as community gardeners whether
we want to deal with the issue or not. I would hope that the listserve would
remain open to the discussion and postings that have surfaced around this
topic. Personally, I struggle much more with folks who (admittedly rarely)
use the listserve to circulate inappropriate and somewhat offensive "humor"
which has no relation to community gardening.