Eco cg issue -

You bring up a very interesting point
"In Newark, NJ, I often found that our "constituents" (how I dislike
that word!) were neither informed about nor interested in environmental
issues.  Does anyone else face that?"

Yup, I'd say it's a combination of things --
1.) Life is very pressing -- it's hard to get to be on someone's list of
"things to do" e.g. There are another 400-500 UNSAVED gardens, that are
mostly targetted by NYC's Housing Preservation & Development Agency
(HPD). It's really hard to get people motivated -- period. If there
garden isn't in imminent, immediate danger they just "don't get it".
It's not until HPD's "Notice to Vacate" arrives (& by that time it's
almost too late) that gardeners panic.  (There are exceptions, but not

2.)Everyone has different talents, some are good artists, others good
organizers, big-picture-thinkers, etc. Not everyone can see the bigger
environment/ community garden/urban planning/  automobile-dependent/
consumerism picture.
3.) In the face of the incessant consume culture, it's very hard to
break away & realize you're in a gerbil habit-trail wheel.
4) People are encouraged to buy "CHEAP" (It's on Sale, think of how much
you'll save).  People don't realize that cheap plastic lawn chair made
in China (that cost $7 at Walmart) will break next year & they'll need
to replace it.  That the chair polluted someelse's environment, esp. if
it was produced in a country with weak/no environmental laws, which will
ultimately pollute their own environment.
5. With regard to the g.e. issue see (4) and some people don't have the
science background to understand the salient points in the issue.  For
example, a Wall St. Journal article stated that Bt cotton, produced,
more quickly than anticipated, Bt-resistant bugs.  But GE scientists
reported "Don't worry because the Bt-resistant gene was recessive (& on
a different mating cycle)".  Two & a half points were NOT made by the
  a. Darwinian evolution suggests that Bt resistance is an advantage, so
Bt resistance is NOT an isolated trait.
  b) If only Bt-resistant bugs survive, then two recessive genes are
expressed.  Thus, According to Gregor Mendel, the recessive gene is
  c) If only Bt-resistance bugs are available to mate -- see (b) above.
(My letter-to-the editor was not published :((.

It's not easy to explain complicated-related things.  We live in an
Executive summary culture.  People just don't have the practice &/or
patience to work thru complicated issues like the environment.

In empathy,