RE: compost

i'm not a biologist, but i play one on TV.  Rumor has it that some bacteria,
mold and fungus do better with oxygen, and some do better deep inside a
methane-rich environment.

I've always heard that the aerobic ones are the best ones, which is why
turning your compost frequently (letting it breathe) encourages the growth
of these and speeds up the breakdown of organic matter.  The blue mold you
describe sounds like you might be a little heavy on fresh grass clippings,
but that's just a guess on my part.  If fresh grass clippings are being
added to your compost, then turning it and mixing it with other stuff will
be much to your advantage and should cut down on the blue mold.

During mosquito season i turn my compost just weekly, but the rest of the
year i mix it up almost every day.  I'm always fascinated by how much volume
one bin can handle and the stuff just breaks down to practically nothing.
The less you turn it, the more visible molds and fruiting body of fungus
appear and the slower the process of decomposition.

Did you say Budapest as in Hungary?  Or did you mean Budapest, Pennsylvania?

Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson Street, NW
Atlanta, GA  30318