Re: Local Charters of NCGA

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Local Charters of NCGA
  • From: Tom Tyler <ttyler@vt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:37:18 -0400

John,
Good question and one the ACGA board has just started to talk
about. I personally spoke with a member about it last w/e
as well, at our conf. in Salt Lake City.  It will be a new structure
and one the Board would really have to discuss at length, but, I
know they are open to it. Many of the folks intereested in this
are still stuck in Salt Lake City, having just completed our
annual conference. So don't expect immediate action. Even in
normal times, as we are vols. like you, it takes a while to implement
policy changes. I might suggest you come up with some scenarios or
formats of how this might work, to suggest to us, perhaps following
the format of Sierra C. or whomever.   We are interested
in being as useful to our members as possible given our limited resources.
This may be another way.....Tom Tyler

At 08:54 PM 9/13/01 -0700, John Quintero wrote:
>Dear CGA Board of Directors:
>
>I have been interested in a different kind of approach than simply sending
>in our "dues" and becoming a solitary member of the association; based on
>the history of American associations of the national kind, it would seem
>possibly more advantageous to all concerned to create a "charter"
>organization relationship, as have done other kinds of "charity" or "special
>interest" organization. It seems to me that a local lobby backed by the
>National umbrella would provide a serious political clout.
>
>I would, with all due respect, formally request, as a representative Board
>member of the single largest community garden in the San Francisco Bay Area,
>to ask to open discussions about the establishment of such a relationship
>with your organization. In other words, I would like permission to recruit a
>local Board of Directors that would be willing to enter into and sign a
>Charter Membership, representing the goals of the National Organization at
>the local level. We would offer memberships for a "district" charter, and
>send a percentage of local dues to the National Office.
>
>I think it may be possible that extending "grassroots" out in this
>traditional manner might very well be far more effective and self-sustaining
>financially than the contemporary modern development of the professionalized
>industry of "non-profit" corporations.
>
>We have discussed this at length in our meetings of the Hayward Community
>Gardens Sub-Committee on Urban Garden Development; we feel rather naked
>entering into tenure seeking relations with the social structures around us
>(corporate, municipal and state agencies)and if there existed a tangible
>local social structure whose intent was to act as a lobby with national
>backing, we might feel far more confident in ourselves. It just seems that a
>"charter" arrangement has worked well for other societies, (Audobon, Sierra
>Club, the Grange, etc.)that it might provide a deeper sense of belonging for
>that set of individuals who are interested in urban (and rural) community
>Gardening. We have over 100 gardens in the greater Bay Area, and if each
>member of each of those gardens were to have an automatic membership to a
>larger organization by the very virtue of their membership to the particular
>garden, the National Organization would thus be enabled to raise the
>conciousness of untold millions of people, since these "roots" would touch
>people exponentially. You could then get the mailing address of thousands of
>individuals, rather than handfuls of "institutions."
>
>I hope my vehemence about this strategic political option does not feel
>abrasive; it is just that my hopes far outrace the actual demoralizing
>experience of a local pro-urban garden activist, and being out here in the
>trenches, as thousands around the nation an world are, provides me practical
>vision of the entire forest. Yet, because of the lack of a truly unifying
> [...]
Tom Tyler
Extension Agent - Environmental Horticulture
Unit Coordinator
Virginia Cooperative Extension - Arlington County
3308 S. Stafford St.
Arlington, VA 22206

703-228-6423 (P)
703-228-6407 (F)
E-Mail: ttyler@vt.edu
<http://offices.ext.vt.edu/arlington>

President, American Community Gardening Association:
<http://www.communitygarden.org>