RE: Re: Disagreements

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Re: Disagreements
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:47:56 -0400

I too have a problem with profanity because it gets in the way of civilized
discourse, shows poor English language skills, and often gets me in danger
of getting my mouth washed out with soap or worse.

In this case, thankfully, I was not the foul one - though I've been known to
have rather different positions on "Prison Gardens", as you may recall, that
can get me in hot water, if not incarcerated. Gardening is passionate and
when mixed up with our nation's current problems can get divisive.

Understand please, that being a "distorter of history, propagandist,
misinformer and out of context" person comes to me as second nature because
I'm male. As a long married person, I know to behave myself, mostly because
I don't need to get slammed with a cast iron skillet or whatever else is
available in in a hot kitchen ( which Harry Truman himself  said one should
get out of if you can't stand the heat.)

The original erring correspondent, also a male,  may not be as "seasoned" as
most of us are, and  didn't understand that although we're a mixed bag here
on this list, we do require  civility and a not inconsiderable amount of
good humor as the price of admission.

Reality check: In my office, today, we were going through our subscription
lists to find out who was still out there  in Zip Code 10048 land( World
Trade & World Financial Center) to receive Securities Act updates. Currently
there is nobody there to receive mail, UPS or FedEx packages. Some companies
have relocated or are using borrowed conference rooms and my company is
doing it's part. Mucho kleenex today. Not the time for a tempest in a

In the midst of this grimness, let's not give Mr. Ben Laden and his ilk
another victory by fighting among ourselves over opinions ( unless it's
whose tomatoes are sweeter, whose garlic can repel the most vampires.) I for
one forswear the really bad words, especially in print as my contibution to
our happy group.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman