RE: 23 cities funded back in eraly 80's for food gardening

  • Subject: RE: [cg] 23 cities funded back in eraly 80's for food gardening
  • From: "Jack N. Hale" <jackh@knoxparks.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:10:20 -0400

Regarding the Millenium money, the State of Connecticut used about $1,000 of
its allocation to build a fence at a new garden.  They also took seriously
the general message from above that community gardening is important.
Mohamed Dhinbil, an old 23-cities guy from Bridgeport, was appointed state
community garden coordinator, although I suspect he has no job description
and no support.  The most tangible result of that initiative was the first
ever Connecticut community gardening conference held on September 15 this
year here in Hartford.  Excellent cooperation from the University of
Connecticut Cooperative Extension Service and Master Gardeners with help
from USDA Farm Services Administration and Natural Resources Conservation
Service.  It appears that awareness of community gardening has increased
significantly among federal and state folks here.  There is talk of a state
directory and regional how-to guides that point to local resources in
various parts of the state.  My hope is that the committee will soon be
reconvening to discuss planning for the next state conference and perhaps a
bid for the national conference in a few years.
Jack