Re: 23 cities funded back in eraly 80's for food gardening

  • Subject: Re: [cg] 23 cities funded back in eraly 80's for food gardening
  • From: Lenny Librizzi <plantlot@rcn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:40:31 -0400

Sally, Tiffany and all,
One of the early Community Greening Reviews, I think it was 96 or 97 did an in depth article about the 23 cities program. I am writing from home as we are still phoneless
in our office or I would have the right year. I don't know if there are any copies to be had. Sally Mc Cabe may know.  My recollection is that it started as a much smaller
program- 4 or 5 cities then expanded to the 23 cities. Funding ended when Rep Fred Richmond retired and there was no champion for the program. The 23 cities money
was real dollars that funded programs thru the land grand universities cooperative extention programs in the selected cities (bonus points to any one who can name the
23). The latest money was a USDA Millenium gardening allocation of $250,000 to fund community garden coordinators in all 50 states. We tried to talk them out of it. Not
much that a coordinator can do on a statewide level for $5000. Mostly it was dumped on  someone who had many other jobs to do. I haven't heard of anything that
came out of this money and I don't think the funding was for more than one year.
Lenny Librizzi