A New Gardening Idea

  • Subject: [cg] A New Gardening Idea
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:50:45 -0400

Friends,

Most of us that maintain viewing gardens or beds as part of our community
garden layout often notice that in late August and early September, that
it's hard to maintain visual interest in the same way that we do during
spring and mid-summer when bulbs, perennials and annuals make the big show.

A modest suggestion and gardening challenge:

We should all endeavor to create beds in our gardens that, while ordinarily
interesting during most seasons, should have a major visual show during the
first half of September - where I am in NYC, I do it with Dahlias and mumms,
but I'll be looking into more ways. The name that I propose for this kind of
bed or garden is a "September 11th Garden".

Perhaps some of our larger botanic gardens can get on the bandwagon and
someone in Washington DC can reach out to the White House gardener as well
to put on her/his thinking cap.

Have a great weekend all!
Adam Honigman
Clinton Community Garden