RE: Clinton Community Garden

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Clinton Community Garden
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:48:19 -0400

Thanks for the kudos. The Clinton Community Garden  is the result of 24
years of neighborhood involvement and political support, visionary
worker-volunteers like founder Mallory Abrahmson who laid out much of the
garden and a sucession of amazing volunteers; the early help of TPL,
Greenthumb, the Clinton Fund; the support of local elected officials,
Manhattan Community Board 4; and last and certainly not least the
Clinton/Hell's Kitchen community which has embraced the garden as its own.

Our garden's steering committee and volunteers have worked very hard but we
were also lucky to have been the first NYC Community garden to have been
transferred to the Parks Dept in the mid-1980's. As a founding member of the
Manhattan Parks and Open Green Space Coalition, the CCG works continues to
advocate for gardens and open green spaces throughout our city. What you saw
through our gates is what any neighborhood should have if the neighborhood
will support it.   Here's our website: http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org

Sorry you didn't get in....

If at any time you walk by and see anyone in the garden,  all you need  to
do is ask them to let you in ( we have a sign on the front gate to that
effect in case any of our new keyholders don't get it.) We are very serious
about accessibilty of our community garden.

While we have 3,500 keyholders in our catchment area ( we expect 4,000 by
the end of this year)the  gates of the Clinton Community Garden are open on
weekends during volunteer hours. A great time for you to visit us will be
during the "Hell's Kitchen Heroes Picnic" on September 21, 2002 from 3:00pm
on when we will be honoring the Fire, Police and EMS workers who serve our
neighborhood. Bring a dish or beverage to share.

Your tour: I'm a short, fat, balding, bearded middle-aged guy with glasses
who answers to "Adam." Introduce yourself and I or any one of our volunteers
will be delighted to show you around.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden