Re: Local food systems abroad - Gardening Under Sniper Fire

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Local food systems abroad - Gardening Under Sniper Fire
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:11:40 EDT

Andrew,

You should go to the ACGA website,   <A
HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>American Community Gardening
Association</A> , and the world famous City Farmer site,
 <A HREF="http://www.cityfarmer.org/";>Click here: City Farmer's Urban
Agriculture Notes</A>  for international contacts.

You may find the American Friends Sarajevo Community Garden project to
particularly interesting:

 I prefer to  remember Sarajevo as it was in 1984, the beautiful host city of
the XIV Winter Olympics. However,  for many Sarajevo represents a horrible
civil war,  a city under siege with citzens fighting starvation by growing
food in urban plots while dodging sniper fire.  A comparison of 1984 and 1994
Sarajevo:

<A HREF="http://sarajevo.bih.tripod.com/sarajevo.html";>Click here: Goran's HP
- Sarajevo Zone                  </A>

During former NYC Mayor Giuliani's spate of community garden bulldozings I
always thought, "This ain't nothing...  at least there aren't snipers trying
to kill us with high powered rifles. Now those Sarajevans are really
committed community gardeners!"

The American Friends Committee is now helping these heroic community
gardeners help themselves.  A contingent of these amazing folks attended the
NYC ACGA conference last July - I take my hats off to them.

Here is a link to the American Friends Committee's Sarajevo community garden
project:

 <A HREF="http://www.afsc.org/intl/europe/grdnrpt.htm";>Click here: Community
gardening project, Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina</A>

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman