FYI South Africa community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] FYI South Africa community gardens
  • From: "Sally McCabe" SMcCabe@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:00:30 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: URBANAG [mailto:URBANAG@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 3:41 PM
To: Rene van Veenhuizen; Mike Levenston; Sally McCabe
Subject: South Africa community gardens

From:	INTERNET:wfan@iastate.edu, INTERNET:wfan@iastate.edu
To:	, INTERNET:wfan@iastate.edu

Date:	9/10/02  7:06 AM

RE:	WFAN> South Africa community garden fund raiser this Wednesday

Hello Folks:

As you may know, ten Iowans representing the Iowa United Nations
chapter traveled to South Africa to attend the World Summit on
Sustainable Development. While in Johannesburg, Holly Killmer,
Margaret Englesson and I visited community garden projects in
townships near Jo'burg. Many of the inhabitants lived in 'homes'
slightly larger than our offices or bedrooms with limited access to
electricity or water. Unemployment is high in the townships. Schools
established gardens for educational purposes, but primarily to ensure
kids have something to eat. One project was a group of single,
middle-aged, unemployed women. The gardens, started with the help of
a low-budget non-profit called the Food Gardens Foundation, provide
much needed nutrition, energize the neighborhood, create pride and
have brought community members together.

They asked us if we might be able to help them buy seed for their
summer planting season, which is a couple weeks away.  We replied "we
hope so!"

To turn that hope into reality, we're putting on a benefit concert this week.