Re: spider mites and wasps

  • Subject: [cg] Re: spider mites and wasps
  • From: "lisa vandyke" vandykelisa@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:57:26 -0500

Hi there,

For the spider mites in the greenhouse, try beneficials such as predatory mites or lady beetles. Here is a site from Florida about benes:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_IN078

And for the wasp nest - best I can figure out is to spray the nest with either Rotenone (organic) or Sevin (not organic). Any treatment must be done at night, as the wasps will be in the nest and more docile. If you have had a bad reaction to the stings, get someone else to do the work! Shovel soil on the nest only after all activity has ceased. And a word about the chemicals ; Rotenone, although considered organic, is one of the most toxic chemicals out there - kidney and liver damage, highly toxic to fish, very broad spectrum (though a fairly short residual)- please be very careful and read all directions if you choose to go that route. Sevin is also pretty dangerous (a nerve toxin and very water-soluble), but I think we forget that the organic stuff is also lethal. I would ordinarily not suggest spraying, but clearly you have a problem and that seems to be the best (only) way I've found to eradicate.

Best, Lisa in Mpls

______________________________________________________ The American Community Gardening Association listserve is only one of ACGA's services to community gardeners. To learn more about the ACGA and to find out how to join, please go to http://www.communitygarden.org To post an e-mail to the list: community_garden@mallorn.com To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your subscription: https://secure.mallorn.com/mailman/listinfo/community_garden