Re: Ants, Ants Everywhere!

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Ants, Ants Everywhere!
  • From: "Estee Fleming" esteefleming@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:36:40 +0000

Hi Walter,

As part of a project on an organic seed research farm in New Mexico this summer I worked on eliminating our ant problems. We had red fire ants in our perennial beds, in our lettuce, on our sunnies, in our paths. The small black ants (possibly Argentinian) were all over the sunnies too. We tried using Ant-i-dote, nematodes that you mix in water and pour down the ant hills. We used hot water first, then the Antidote, and found that at first it decreased and slowed the hills, but eventually seemed to just relocate them. For us, this worked to have the ants relocate to the farms edges and away from the crops, and in two cases it did eliminate the hills completely. We tried Orange Guard as well, which worked for about 2 weeks before the ants re-established their pathways. If you were to keep up on the Antidote/hot water treatment (we did it for 3 weeks), I think you'd see progress. I have also heard that Tansy is anti-ant, but also invasive so beware. I believe the Antidote came from Harmony Farm Supply, but possibly Rincon Vitova in California. Good luck!

Estee Fleming