Re: Ants, Ants Everywhere!

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Ants, Ants Everywhere!
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:43:11 -0700

It was late last night when I responded to your question. Another thought I
had regarding ants in your compost was what kind of materials do you have in
it? If it is heavy on kitchen scraps this could be attracting them. If you
are only using green waste generated from the garden than my first reply
would address the issue (don't let it dry out and turn more often). If you
do have plenty of kitchen scraps I would back off on adding anymore at this
point. Too, make sure they do not contain meat, oils, or dairy products. If
you need nitrogen to fire-it-up, I would use a steer or chicken manure.

Hope this helps,
Deborah Mills
Green Cure, Inc.
www.greencure.org