FW: I'm interested in community gardening

  • Subject: [cg] FW: I'm interested in community gardening
  • From: "Sally McCabe" SMcCabe@pennhort.org
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:24:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Julia Kennedy [mailto:joolez@popmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 12:53 AM
To: Sally McCabe; sallymcc@libertynet.org
Subject: I'm interested in community gardening

Hi there: I'm going to go a little bit out on a limb here. I live in Bakersfield, California and I belong to a church called Downtown Christian Fellowship. I would love our church to have a community garden ministry. By that, I mean I would love for us to be able to purchase a piece of land that, over time, would become a kind of oasis for prayer, reflection and yes, even growing our own food and sharing with the community.
While vacationing in Key West, I visited two gardens, not the veggie growing type, but with lush plants and places to sit and wander. I began to wonder if Bakersfield could use the same thing.
My question is this: could you offer me some simple pointers, or suggest some other resources which would help us get started? I don't know the first thing, but in my heart I'm very excited about this.
Thank you for your time and suggestions.
Julia Kennedy
Bakersfield, CA.