RE: FW: I'm interested in community gardening

  • Subject: RE: [cg] FW: I'm interested in community gardening
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:14:21 -0400

Dear Ms. Kennedy,

1) You have not gone out on a limb, you're come to the right place. Please make yourself a nice pot of tea, put some paper in your printer and go to the American Community Gardening Association website where the master gardeners of this organization have organized a wealth of information on community garden start-ups, organizing, fund raising, planning, fundraising, accessibilty for seniors and the physically challenged, kids, educational programming, food security, the works. There are also links to community gardens all over the US, Canada and the world. Bookmark what you like, print what you want to share or want to put into a notebook. Once you've done some reading and refined your questions, please come back to this listserve. The master gardeners on this list will be more than glad to point out the way.

2) A church garden program that comes to mind immediately is St. John's United Church of Christ Organic Community Garden, St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA 19460 which is coordinated by ACGA stalwart, Dorene Pasekoff.

http://www.stjohnsucc.com/garden/about.htm

2) A favorite church community garden of mine in NYC is sited St Lukes in the Field on Hudson Street : http://www.stlukeinthefields.org/. Although the site doesn't say much about the garden ( " In 1956, deteriorating houses surrounding the chapel were razed, and a school building, playground and garden were constructed.") the garden here is serene, beautiful and highly conducive to meditation, prayer or a quiet sandwich during lunch hour.

Please let us know how you're progessing. This listserve is a service of the American Community Gardening Association. Once your garden is up and running, please consider becoming an member ( http://www.communitygarden.org/about/membership.html ).

Best wishes,

Adam Honigman, Volunteer  Clinton Community Garden