Re: FW: I'm interested in community gardening

  • Subject: Re: [cg] FW: I'm interested in community gardening
  • From: Alliums garlicgrower@earthlink.net
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:03:02 -0400

Julia wrote:

Hi there: I'm going to go a little bit out on a limb here.

Christianity is all about going out on a limb. ;-)

I live in Bakersfield, California and I belong to a church called Downtown Christian Fellowship. I would love our church to have a community garden ministry. By that, I mean I would love for us to be able to purchase a piece of land that, over time, would become a kind of oasis for prayer, reflection and yes, even growing our own food and sharing with the community.

If you look over the ACGA e-mail list archives, you'll find that quite a number of churches incorporate gardens into their ministry.  Ours happens to be a serious food-producing and heirloom plant repository, but meditation gardens, memorial gardens, and native plant landscaping are also viable church ministries.

Brew that pot of tea that Adam suggested and take some time to read through the archives and the ACGA website (I thought there were community gardens listed near to you, but my knowledge of CA geography isn't what it could be -- I'm still telling my friend in Berkeley to move because the earthquake is coming and he's going to have ocean-bottom property! ;-D) which ought to give you an excellent grasp of the basics.

If you have any specific questions after reading the archives, feel free to post them to the list (as there are many church garden organizers here) or any of us specifically.

Good luck!

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of
St. John's United Church of Christ, 315 Gay Street, Phoenixville, PA  19460