Why Adam Honigman is Pissed Off That He Can't Go To ACGA/Toronto, But You Must.

  • Subject: [cg] Why Adam Honigman is Pissed Off That He Can't Go To ACGA/Toronto, But You Must.
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:19:37 EDT

Why Adam Honigman is Pissed Off That He Can't Go To ACGA/Toronto, But You Must.

It absolutely kills me that I can't make the Toronto ACGA Conference this year, because I really wanted to go.  Actually, viscerally needed to go. But we're against the wall here in Hell's Kitchen.

But the City of New York has decided it wants to put a huge sports stadium, convention complex and more office space than we will ever need,  VIRTUALLY NO AFFORDABLE HOUSING, negligible open space by financial "planning" that will only exacerbate the inequity between the rich and poor in my city.

My neighborhood is being hung out to dry this year by the battle we are having trying to keep our allegedly broke NYC from spending 600 million bucks up front, and then 4 billion dollars down the road to create the infrastructure for a Jets Football/2012 Olympic Stadium and millions of square feet of mis-guided over-development, a bogus Envionmental Impact Study and a voodoo economics financing plan that is flimsier than a house of cards.

As a grassroots guy with the ability to write, I'm needed for quick-turn-around media soundbites, cranking out press releases,  and  community organizing gruntwork that I've been told, "nobody else can do," i.e., getting out the bodies with signs.

That nobody else will do for free because he cares about it, that is..... Not that there is the money to pay anyone do it, anyway.

So I won't be in Toronto, but I'll really, regret it because while I will be part of a coalition trying from keeping the politicians from doing something ruinous and stupid from happening in my city, I would much prefer to be part of the ACGA Conference, working with folks from all over North America and the World on how we can all work together, in this 21st Century to grow all of our communities, sensibly, and in a sustainable fashion, one community garden at a time.

I'll be thinking of all of you who can and should be going, while I'm with all of my "Dutch Boy" friends here in NYC, trying to keep back a  sea of  stupidity, vanity and greed with our "fingers in the dyke. "

Green eyed with envy for anyone who has registered or will register for the conference,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer,
Clinton Community Garden

Subj: [cg] A peek at conference workshops