state of gardening in major cities

  • Subject: [cg] state of gardening in major cities
  • From: Geoff Davenport <geoff_davenport@fastmail.us>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:50:22 -0400

Hello All,

I'm a student at New York University, working on a grant proposal (due tomorrow) to study community gardening. I've got plenty of information available to me on the state of community gardening in New York City, but I want to learn more (and make some references in my proposal) to community gardening in other major cities in the U.S. I'm particularly interested in high density urban settings (like NYC) in which pressure from developers has led to battles over permanence of community gardens (like NYC). From what I've gathered thus far, some interesting things have happened and are going on in Chicago and Seattle, but I don't have a great deal of detail.

Any information you can provide will be helpful. I'm particularly interested in newspaper articles, reports from public or nonprofit sources, or even academic scholarship.

Thanks!
Geoff Davenport

Geoffrey Davenport Mobile: 917.544.1778
530 West 112th Street #2 Fax: 309.424.5861
New York, NY 10025

"Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always
plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would
grow."
       -- Abraham Lincoln