Re:Contaminated soil.......

  • Subject: [cg] Re:[cg]Contaminated soil.......
  • From: "Diane Dodge" dianefaydodge@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:40:28 -0500

Lenny and all,

On Sep. 22 Lenny Librizzi wrote the following:
It will be a fertile ground for the remediation scientists. Maybe
earthworms might be one of the solutions. I just read an interesting
book, The Earth Moved : On the Remarkable Achievements of Earthworms, by
Amy Stewart and she writes about worms being used in some remediations
including removing the odor from biosolids (dried sewage sludge. Should we
be sending worms from our compost piles to help start the soil healing

Earthworms can be a mixed blessing. Since most of those in current use in vermiculture(and for fish bait) are exotics and have no natural enemies in our native soils, they can be a problem if not contained to do their valuable work. Our experience in Minnesota is detailed in the following website:

Diane Dodge