Buying garden shares

  • Subject: [cg] Buying garden shares
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:20:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, all,

Question - maybe especially for Adam, but open to
everyone. A women's group is looking for ways to help
raise money to support re-creation of the Urban
Ministry Community Garden in Charlotte. Briefly, they
built a building on top of the old garden, but set
aside a lovely new site dedicated to a garden program.
It needs lots of work, though, and the Center wants
lots of $ to add a garden staff person to create a
fulltime program, build walks, bring in soil - you
know the list.

The group heard about the Clinton St/Hell's Kitchen
Community Garden idea of selling 'shares' in the
garden, or 'buying' a square ft of the garden. How did
that work? Is there a record somewhere of that? Have
other folks tried that approach to fund raising, and
if so, how did it work?

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC

(I know you won't believe me until you see it, and
with good reason, but I'm now doing final proofing on
the 160 page retrospective double issue Community
Greening Review before printing. Don't miss it - join
ACGA now (if not already a member) so you can reserve
your copy).