Re: gardens with a (broader) purpose...?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] gardens with a (broader) purpose...?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 14:07:58 EDT

Dear Pamela,

Please go to the ACGA website links page and read the pages of the community
gardens listed - almost all feed the hungry, have a strong educational
component, many have child care programs, work with seniors, provide a safe and
beautiful haven, building community in neighborhoods - from the ground up, where
there are few positive options for social cohesion.

http://www.communitygarden.org/links.php .

Again, go to the links page, print out the pages of any number of gardens,
and offer it to your editor.

Also,a really good Rodale Book, "Grace from the Garden" offers some excellent
examples of how community gardens serve a beacons to their communities ( and
grow rather sweet organic tomatoes.)

Also, as magazine editors tend to be kind of brain dead on issues that are
out of their usual perview, another good, in print book is "Patch of Eden," on
inner city community gardens,  by Patricia Hynes

I'm off to host a picnic for the first responders in Hell's Kitchen at the
Clinton Community Garden - I can attest that community gardening is more than
just being "green."

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman
 Clinton Community Garden