Re: How many seasons can a gardener renew a plot?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] How many seasons can a gardener renew a plot?
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:07:28 EDT

Friend,

In the experience of the Clinton Community Garden in Midtown Manhattan ( a
third of an acre community garden which devotes a third of it's space to 108
queen size bed sized raised garden plots) we've found that these individual plots
turn over, with the usual attrition rate of moving away, divorce, death or
lack of interest, in about 5 years. You can read about  our "back garden" rules
on our website  Clinton Community Garden .

You see, the garden itself is run entirely by volunteers and while we lease
the garden space from the Parks Dept, the only material benefts we enjoy from
this association is Parks Dept pick up, and free water. So for snow shovelling,
maintainance of our park-like front garden and lawn, we have garden members
step up to do the job. Unlike most "permitted uses" in Parks, there is an
implied work requirement - if we were to set up a time limit for garden plot use,
we'd lose alot of the pillars of our garden, the people who do the real work to
keep a garden with over 5,000 keyholders, running.

The folks who want to limit the number of seasons a gardener can renew a plot
obviously never were involved with a community garden and need a more
detailed understanding of how one works.

If the people in your city have any questions, they can feel free to contact
the folks on the list,

Best wishes,
Adam  Honigman
Volunteer,