RE: pathway maintenance

The Clinton Community Garden ( clintoncommunitygarden.org) uses red brick
paths because they are durable, safe and easy to maintain. We utilized red
bricks salvaged from dumptsters, empty lots, and construction sites ( it's
NYC after all!) We were able to get some beautiful brownstone pieces for our
Native American Garden from a stoop and stairway  that was replaced a few
doors east of the garden.

It's hard work doing this properly, but it's certainly doable. You need
strong backs, shovels, a carpenters level and a tape measure. We dug the
path down about a foot, filled it with gravel, laid bricks and topped it
with sand which we swept into the crevices. Rome wasn't built in a day,  and
neither will your path, pending weather, building supplies and aching
backs....but persevere. Once the path is laid, it looks fabulous, needs
little maintenance ( some weeding and re-sanding) and it's done!

It's a good project for male gardeners who have an excess of upper body
strength, desire to build something and a good excuse to drink beer on a hot
day.

Happy path laying!
Adam