Call for Nominations
SMART GROWTH: COMMUNITIES LEADING THE WAY
Call For Nominations
Send us your story by October 31st!
Receive national recognition for your work!
Does This Sound Like Your Organization?
* You are concerned about the well being of low-income communities.
* You work for better access to public transportation.
* You fight for affordable housing opportunities in all areas of your
* You are concerned about preserving and reinvigorating the unique,
positive qualities of rural communities.
* You find ways to address the lack of job opportunities in low-income
neighborhoods and communities of color.
* You want to see empty buildings and lots in your community redeveloped.
* You are concerned about the environmental effects of industrial facilities
or abandoned buildings in your neighborhood.
* You want to maintain your neighborhood business district and financial
resources, and attract appropriate business to your area.
* You work with diverse partners to address any or all of these concerns.
TELL US YOUR STORY!
We are looking for examples of community-based organizations that are
addressing the environmental, economic, and social impacts of sprawl
through local community development or community building initiatives.
Organizations selected will receive national recognition. All applicants
will receive free copies of the National Neighborhood Coalition's project
reports and information about how to contact others who are doing similar
1.) PUBLICATIONS: NNC will publish a series of informative reports that
will highlight the work of local organizations. These reports will
be distributed nationally to audiences that include community organizations,
funders, and other interested parties that want to know more about how
to become involved in helping regional growth benefit communities.
2.) AWARDS: Organizations that are doing particularly exemplary work
will receive additional exposure during a major national smart growth or
community development event next year as recipients of the first ever Communities
Leading the Way awards.
THE NATIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD COALITION
The NNC is an umbrella organization of national nonprofits, networks
of community, neighborhood and faith-based organizations, and other advocates
who are committed to promoting socially and economically healthy and vibrant
neighborhoods. NNC is also a partner in the Smart Growth Network.
As part of its commitment to low-income neighborhoods and communities
of color, the NNC has initiated the Neighborhoods, Regions and Smart Growth
Project. The goals of this project are to promote urban and rural neighborhoods
as the building blocks of regional smart growth policies and help community-based
organizations find ways to have an impact on regional decisions.
COMMUNITIES LEADING THE WAY will bring attention to innovative, community-level
efforts and help ensure that other low-income neighborhoods and communities
of color have a voice in and benefit from regional smart growth policies,
instead of being left out or left behind. You will be playing an
important leadership role by participating in this effort.
SUBMIT COMPLETED NOMINATION FORM TO NNC BY OCTOBER 31st:
Please complete our on-line nomination form at: http://www.neighborhoodcoalition.org/smart%20growth.htm#Communities
Leading The Way
Submit forms to:
National Neighborhood Coalition
Neighborhoods, Regions and Smart Growth
Communities Leading the Way
1875 Connecticut Ave., NW #410
Washington, DC 20009
via fax (202)986-1941
or e-mail: email@example.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE NATIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD COALITION (INCLUDING
A LIST OF MEMBERS) AND THE NEIGHBORHOODS, REGIONS, AND SMART GROWTH PROJECT:
Visit NNC's website: http://www.neighborhoodcoalition.org
OR call (202)986-2096.
Groups eligible for Neighborhoods, Regions and Smart Growth, Communities
Leading the Way are:
1) Community, neighborhood or faith-based organizations or coalitions
of such groups;
2) Advancing important principles in regional growth such as:
* Working to reduce economic and other disparities within their metropolitan
* Creating better access to quality goods, services, and opportunities
* Promoting comprehensive, long term development that maximizes use
of local resources
* Promoting a neighborhood/community focus at the regional level
* Expanding neighborhood participation in local and regional decision-making
* Addressing social, economic or environmental issues related specifically
to race and ethnicity
* Reaching across normal boundaries by: Working with different groups
in other neighborhoods or jurisdictions on issues of common concern; or
Working on multiple issues to rebuild communities; or Crossing sector lines
by working with diverse partners to improve neighborhoods within a region.
3) Able to demonstrate their success or impact.
I am nominating:
___ my organization ___ another organization ___ a coalition of organizations
(if you are nominating someone other than your own organization,
please include your name and contact information with this form).
What is the organization's mission?
What issues has the organization been involved in?
__ Affordable Housing
__ Economic Development
__ Historic Preservation
__ Food Security/Gardens
__ Redeveloping Abandoned Areas
__ Community organizing
__ Environmental Justice
What other organizations or public agencies are involved in this effort?
(Or have been involved in the past?)
__ Community Development Organizations
__ Neighborhood Associations
__ Faith-Based Groups or Congregations
__ Community Action Agencies
__ Local Planning Bodies
__ Regional Planning Bodies
__ Other Governmental Units
__ Regional or Statewide Coalitions
__ Environmental Groups
__ University Departments or Research Centers
What specific project or effort might be considered an example of community
(Must be a current or very recently completed project)
What is the geographic scope of this effort?
__ Single Neighborhood
__ Multi-Neighborhood across city/suburb or urban/rural lines
__ Multi-Neighborhood within same area (central city, inner-ring
__ Rural/Small town
__ Region or County
Is there anything else you would like to tell us about why this organization's
work is unique?
__ Send me more information about the National Neighborhood Coalition.
Thanks for sending us your nomination!
National Neighborhood Coalition
Neighborhoods, Regions and Smart Growth: Communities Leading the Way
1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 410
Washington, DC 20009