Wanted Quillworts (Isoetes)

  • Subject: [ferns] Wanted Quillworts (Isoetes)
  • From: W Carl Taylor <ct@MPM.EDU>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:44:17 -0500

Here in Milwaukee, we are studying the evolutionary relationships of
Isoetes species (Quillworts) worldwide with the goal of producing a
better taxonomy with improved keys and descriptions for easier species
identification. To determine evolutionary relationships of species, we
have been using morphological characters from the whole plant,
chromosome counts from root tip squashes, and DNA sequences from leaf
tissue samples. We are interested in obtaining Isoetes specimens from
all over the world for this study. Just recently, we have been working
on Australian species and we see a need to study more specimens of
Isoetes species that grow in eastern Australia. Tasmania is especially
attractive right now since we have no data from this area and six
species have been reported there. If you have access to Isoetes in the
field and you can send freshly collected specimens to us for study, I
would be grateful for the opportunity to correspond with you about this.