RE: Wanted Quillworts (Isoetes)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net]On Behalf Of W Carl
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 9:44 AM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: [ferns] Wanted Quillworts (Isoetes)

Dr. Taylor, I am Winfred D. (Don) Crank of Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Do you want any material from the Ouachita Mountain area of Arkansas? Two
upland cedar glades nearby have Isoetes that are 2-4 inches tall but do have
black on the corm. They certainly do present a different appearance than the
tall ones that grow in marshier areas. You may have been in Fulton Branch
glade in Montgomery Co. Arkansas while you were working in Arkansas. The
Isoetes from the pool that has Pilularia are also small yet a few yards
away; the Isoetes that grow in the tiny creek are much taller.

If you do want material from Arkansas, please tell me how to preserve and
transport it to you.

You may or may not be aware that Jim Peck's mother is not doing well
physically and he is Florida attending to her. He told me last week that he
plans on being back in Little Rock in August.

Respectuflly submitted,

Don Crank
Here in Milwaukee, we are studying the evolutionary relationships of
Isoetes species (Quillworts) worldwide with the goal of producing a
better taxonomy with improved keys and descriptions for easier species
identification. To determine evolutionary relationships of species, we
have been using morphological characters from the whole plant,
chromosome counts from root tip squashes, and DNA sequences from leaf
tissue samples. We are interested in obtaining Isoetes specimens from
all over the world for this study. Just recently, we have been working
on Australian species and we see a need to study more specimens of
Isoetes species that grow in eastern Australia. Tasmania is especially
attractive right now since we have no data from this area and six
species have been reported there. If you have access to Isoetes in the
field and you can send freshly collected specimens to us for study, I
would be grateful for the opportunity to correspond with you about this.