New York Fern Society May meeting & Summer Outing Schedule

  • Subject: [ferns] New York Fern Society May meeting & Summer Outing Schedule
  • From: cle11104@att.net
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:46:30 +0000

  NOTE: Visitors to NYC are welcome to the meetings.
Speakers are welcome.
For subway travel instructions kindly contact: cle11104@att.net  privately

 April Fern Society Letter
Dear members and friends,
We had a busy April meeting despite heavy rain outside! Jim Montgomery gave a superb travelogue about his fern-hunting trip to Mexico, along with a few images from his southern Florida travels.  Elizabeth Griggs brought in beautiful plants of lady fern (Athyrium filix-femina) that she grew from spore. Tom Stuart brought several small ferns that he started from buds, and Bonnie McKenzie, our official Curator of the Raffle, found all these ferns good homes among the members. After the main program, we had a quiz on ten wintergreen ferns that John Mickel brought in from his garden.
Catharine Allen has put together our summer fern foray schedule, which is attached. If you have questions about this summers trips, please write (callen150@juno.com) or call her at 914-948-4061. Thank you, Catharine, for all your efforts in planning these trips; thanks also to our trip leaders!  We look forward to seeing you all in the coming months.
Our next meeting, May 7, will be held in the NYBG herbarium on the 4th floor, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  George Morrison will show us slides of ferns seen on his recent trip to New Zealand and Australia - a very ferny part of the world!
Again this year, John Mickel will have 12 kinds of hardy ferns from wholesaler Casa Flora in Dallas, Texas.  Plants will be in great shape, mostly 6 - 8 inches tall, ready to plant in the ground, and will cost one dollar each. See the attached list of species.
This is the last chapter newsletter until September. Our next meeting will be held on October 1. Mark your calendars for this and the forays and have a wonderful, fern-filled summer!
Robbin Moran
Chapter President
Branford Rambler Fern (Athyrium niponicum Branford Rambler)
Ghost Fern (Athyrium Ghost)
Japanese Painted Fern (Athyrium niponicum Pictum)
Tatting Fern (Athyrium filix-femina Frizelliae)
Barnes Male Fern (Dryopteris filix-mas Barnesii)
Golden-scaled Male Fern (Dryopteris affinis)
Mexican Male Fern (Dryopteris pseudofilix-mas)
Shaggy Shield Wood Fern (Dryopteris cycadina)
European Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis var. regalis)
Makinos Holly Fern (Polystichum makinoi)
Tassel Fern (Polystichum polyblepharum)
Japanese Beech Fern (Thelypteris decursive-pinnata)

Mon, 11 Apr 2005
N.Y. Fern Society Forays 2005
Bring water, lunch, hand lens and insect repellent; sturdy footwear also recommended. If you have questions, you may contact Catharine Allen at callen150@juno.com or (914) 948-4061.
Saturday, April 23, 5 Forest Court, Larchmont, N.Y., 10 a.m., Joanna Friedmans one-acre woodland/rockgarden.  See directions in March 14 letter or call Catharine.
Teatown Reservation, Ossining, NY.  Michael Penziner, has offered to give private tours of the Wildflower Island (admission fee). A native fern garden has been planted on the island. Pink and yellow lady slippers and other native wildflowers abound. To arrange a tour, call Michael Penziner at 914-946-1071 or 914-946-2392 (tape).
Saturday, June 4, Camp Bernie, Washington, New Jersey. Otto Heck, leader.   We are invited to join with the Delaware Valley Fern and Wildflower Society to see some of the uncommon  Botrychiums and a variety of other ferns.  Parking space is limited; we are allotted one carload. For more information and to reserve a space, contact Catharine.
Saturday, June 25, Rockefeller State Park Preserve, 9:30 a.m., John Mickel, leader.  Meet outside the Visitors Center, across from the parking lot (admission fee $6/car; Empire State Parking Pass accepted).  Involves walking on broad carriage trails, slight grade, total about 2 miles.  Well see 15 or more ferns in a beautiful woodland setting, walking along the Pocantico River with its magnificent stone bridges, after a stop at the newly established fern garden near the Visitors Center.  Bring lunch to eat at the Mickel Farm nearby; drinks provided.
        Directions: from the south, take Route 9 north through Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.  Turn right on Route 117, travel 1 mile east, to entrance on right.  Or take Route 9A, or Sprain/Taconic Parkway north past Hawthorne to Route 117.  Turn left on 117, travel 1 mile west, to entrance on left.
         From the north, take Rt. 9 south to 117 or take the Taconic Parkway south past Ossining. Exit Pleasantville Rd, turn right onto Pleasantville Rd. Travel about 1/2 mile; after it crosses 9A, go past the library (on right)  and turn left on South State Rd (watch here as road curves hard right into Briarcliff).  Follow South State Rd about 1 mile to Route 117.  Turn right on 117 and travel 1 mile.  Entrance is on the left.
Saturday, August 27, Big Spring, New Jersey, 10 a.m., Dr. James Montgomery, leader.
Big Spring, properly called the Wittingham Wildlife Management Area, is one of the classic New Jersey fern localities. We should see 30+ species on the limestone ledges and woods and along the border of the extensive swamp. It is about a mile walk from the parking area to the swamp, with various things along the way. Wear sturdy shoes that can get a bit wet.
Meet at the Andover Rails-to-Trails location (same as a couple of years ago), then car pool to the small parking area at Wittingham. Directions: Take I-80 west to US 206 north (exit 25). Follow US 206 north through Andover to the light at Limecrest Road. Continue on 206 for about < mile to the parking area for the trail on the right. Meet in this parking lot at 10:00 AM.