Re: New Member

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] New Member
  • From: foliageg@juno.com
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:43:24 -0700

Hi Tom,
Welcome aboard and I enjoyed reading about the history of your property.
Can't comment about the Lycopodium but do have a few observations on the
Blechnums. First it was good to read that they even survive for you. B.
spicant is known to be difficult away from the Pacific Northwest although
I have friends in NJ who have a very healthy stand of it. (I'll ask them
whether they get fertile fronds and get back to you off list.) My B.
penna-marina is growing in full sun - Zone 8 - and has an abundance of
fertile fronds annually. This said even if you do get fertile fronds the
hardy Blechnums are notoriously difficult to grow from spores. Most of
the B. penna-marina on the market locally come from divisions and B.
spicant is rarely offered. N.A.T.S. nursery in Canada has had success and
they market their plants in an extremely coarse compost with large chunks
of fir bark. In general B. spicant does not like pot culture at all. Just
as a note in the wild here it is most common in areas of high rainfall
such as the rain forest on the Olympic peninsula.
For a successful propagation experience I'd recommend starting with D.
erythrosora. That's what I did when it was unavailable back in the 60's
and I've been at it ever since!!!!
Good luck,
Sue Olsen
Bellevue, WA