Re: Wild Oz Platycerium ID?

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Wild Oz Platycerium ID?
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@lm.net.au
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:13:53 -0400

Hi David

There are quite a few slightly different forms of P. superbum in Australia.
That one is very impressive, wonderful images.

Some of them have rounded shields, others lobed or scolloped or with more
pointed ends.

Some have great amounts of "hair" covering the shields and true fronds,
whilst others have no hair at all.

The shield top tips are "almost" all the same.

These differences are somewhat related to their growing environment in the
around 1,500 mile range up the Eastern side of Australia.

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum South Australia
On the www with Keith's Fern Page at

Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia Inc at