RE: artificial trees

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] artificial trees
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" Wim.dewinter@wisl.nl
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:48:00 +0200

Thanks all for your critical remarks on the tree-building. I understand the motar(concrete?)-with-peat concept is at least not widely known. What I still like about this idea is that it might but not necessarily must look natural. However, I've got several technical construction problems left to master.

The Chicago tree loogs great indeed, but I find it hard to thing of such a construct, be it of reduced size, in my living. The layered walls, pvc-skeleton, moss, cork, sounds like a good idea. In my office I now have a branch of a natiral tree planted with Asplenium nidus, Platycerium bifurcatum, and Phlebodium aureum. Thet are tied with a dot of sphagnum to the branch, but thet have a hard time for lack of available water. The staghorn has actually dried close to death now.

I suppose my heated indoor environment is a problem rather than supplying a foothold to the ferns or decorative issues. I wonder wether I could think of an internal or external low-noise dripping system.

I think I need to do some experiments. I will keep you informed but please be patient, the mind is faster than the hands (don't elaborate on that, Bob!).

Wim0 de Winter