RE: artificial trees

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] artificial trees
  • From: "Rufino Osorio" rufinofl@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:22:47 -0400

Hello Wim,

Asplenium nidus and Phlebodium aureum make beautiful indoor houseplants when grown in pots. Both of them will take quite low humidity so long as they are potted in a well-drained but rich, organic potting mix. I am surprised by the platycerium. Isn't growing most platyceriums indoors as houseplants somewhat like having an elephant for a pet?

An artificially heated residential building is highly artificial and in no way resembles the natural environment of the plants you are trying to grow. Trying to duplicate their natural environment by growing them as epiphytes on artificial trees seems like an extravagant waste of time and money.

Select beautiful pots that complement the asplenium and the phlebodium. Set the pots on attractive plant stands so that the foliage is close eye level. Water them regularly but let the pots become almost, but not quite, totally dry between waterings and very lightly fertilize them 2 or 3 times a year and, in 12-18 months, you will have magnificent specimen plants that are the envy of all your friends. Such a set-up will give you far more beautiful plants and you won't have to worry about your "low-noise dripping system" springing a leak and gushing a few gallons of water onto your floor at 1:00 AM.

Of course an indoor epiphytic "garden" seems so wonderfully strange and exotic but do try to make an effort to give up the thrill of the new and replace it with the thrill of the great. In this case, "the new" consists of plants struggling to grow epiphytically and "the great" consists of beautiful plants grown in pots.

Very kind regards,
Rufino
Southern Florida