Re: artificial trees

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] artificial trees
  • From: "Keith Rogers" kerogers@iprimus.com.au
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:11:45 +0930

Hi Rufino

You to like most of us are trying to grow ferns that 'don't belong' in our
own climate.  Some are easy adjusting, whereas others need an artificial
climate created for their survival.

Wim suffers like many in Europe and most of the US with that Arctic cold
which forces extremes of creation for fern survival for even Temperate zoned
species which we don't have to.

This then depends on the species grown to the individual tastes and
challenge.

Your climate is similar to mine and I grow hundreds of fern species from all
over the world in a shadehouse.  Pot growing out or indoors is a great way
to grow some ferns, epiphytes need baskets or something to grow on, like
Platycerium.

These artificial trees, their construction and visual effect are an
interesting avenue for fern growers especially when there is no other
source.

I use baskets lined with willow roots for a hundred or so epiphytes, white
ant eaten hollow centred hardwood trees for Asplenium australasicum and flat
boards for my Platycerium.  I do have plastic tunnel houses for the tropical
ferns which need additional warmth in my winter cold.

Another example of ingenuity is a South African friend who didn't have a
tree to grow his Platycerium on.  He obtained a thick branched tree trunk,
dig a hole in the garden and buried it upright and mounted his Platyceriums
on it.

Kindest regards

Keith Rogers
Mannum  South Australia

Keith's Fern Page is at
www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/
Supporting the Fern Society of South Australia on
www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/